Friday, April 19, 2013

Breakfast Casserole

My parents came to visit and I wanted to have a nice hot breakfast for them on the day they were leaving to go on the rest of their trip. I browned the sausage and assembled this in the crockpot the night before. I did use a slow cooker liner and I sprayed that with a little cooking spray. I HIGHLY recommend this step as the liner was a huge mess after this was done cooking!

Yes, this is another recipe from Six Sisters Stuff!

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/search?q=breakfast+casserole+slow+cooker


Slow Cooker Sausage Breakfast Casserole
Ingredients:
1 (30 oz) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 lb ground sausage (I used Italian sausage), browned and drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
12 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:
Spray a 6 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray (you cannot make this recipe in a smaller crock pot because it won't fit). Layer 1/2 of the potatoes on the bottom of slow cooker.
Top with half of the sausage, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, onions, green peppers, and red peppers. Repeat the layers again.
Beat eggs, milk, and salt and pepper in large bowl with a wire whisk until well blended. Pour egg mixture evenly over potato-sausage mixture.
Cook on low setting for 8 hours or on high setting for 4 hours or until eggs are set.
Top with green onions, salsa, tomatoes, mushrooms, avocado- whatever you like!


I choose this recipe because it didn't have a lot of ingredients that we don't eat. I try to make recipes the way they are written the first time and then make changes if I want. I don't think  it's fair to critique a recipe if you make changes and then don't like it...but that may just be me...

These pictures don't do the recipe justice but I can explain....

The recipe said to cook this for 8 hours on low but ours cooked more like 9 and then was on warm for 3 so the top and edges got a little brown. I forgot to take pictures along the way. I wanted to visit with the family so I just threw the stuff in and started it.

 
I know I said i like to make recipes as they are written the first time but well, i left the peppers out of this one. I really think it would have been better if I had not cooked it for so long and if I had included the peppers. As it was, I thought the potatoes were over cooked and *mushy* but everyone said it was very good. I thought it was a little bland with too much of an onion taste. i will make this again but i will include the peppers and not cook it so long. This recipe makes a lot! It fed 4 of us with enough  left over for at least 3 or 4 more servings.
 
 
Be sure you take their advice and top with green onions, salsa, tomatoes, mushrooms, avocado- whatever you like! 

No comments:

Post a Comment