Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Pineapple Mandarin Cake or Pig Eating Cake or PIG PICKING CAKE (BECAUSE YOU CAN'T STOP EATING)

Today's recipe was on my Facebook page again so I'm not sure where it originated but it looked good so I thought I would try it.
Pineapple Mandarin Cake
"Pig Eating Cake or PIG PICKING CAKE (BECAUSE YOU CAN'T STOP EATING)"
 1 box Yellow Cake Mix
 1 stick Margarine, Softened
 4 eggs
 1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained (SAVE THE JUICE and a few slices for garnish)
 
FROSTING:


1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, in juice (drain the pineapple but save the juice)

1 pkg. (4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding (I used banana cream cause it's what I had on hand)

2 cup Cool Whip

 
 Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with baking spray (or just grease and flour it the way our grandmothers always did it.)
 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
For the cake, combine cake mix, margarine, 1/2 cup juice from the mandarin oranges, eggs. Beat for four minutes on medium-high. Add drained oranges and beat again until pieces are broken up and small. Pour batter into greased and floured (I just sprayed mine with Pam spray no flour) 9 x 13 inch baking pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Remove from oven and cool completely. If desired, turn out cake onto a large platter.
 Once cake is cool, blend juice from drained pineapples with the vanilla pudding mix. then mix in whipped topping. Stir in drained pineapple. Spread on cooled cake and refrigerate..
To serve, cut cake into squares and top each square with a mandarin orange slice.
 
 
Gather the ingredients to make sure you have everything you need. Oops, I didn't have any vanilla pudding so I used Banana Cream.

 
I would recommend a stand mixer if you have one
 as 4 minutes is a long time to hold a hand mixer
but that is what I used. The batter kept "crawling"
 up the beaters since it was so fluffy.

 
The middle wouldn't get done so I cooked
 it longer than the recommended time.
 
 
Let cool completely. The frosting was so easy to make!

 
Wow! This was GOOD! Very moist with good flavor.
Mostly I tasted the pineapple and the banana though so next time I will try it with the vanilla pudding to see if I taste the Mandarin Oranges more. 
Not sure if I would call it "Pig eating" but it did taste "more ish"
Get it? Tasted like more?



No comments:

Post a Comment