Saturday, January 26, 2013

Ice, Ice, Ice Baby...

So, I live in the South. If you live in the South (at least around here) if the Weather report is calling for snow of any kind the first thing you do is panic and then head to the grocery store for milk, bread and eggs. I don't know why..it's just the rule. Maybe Southerners just really like french toast when it snows.

Friday the weather report said we would get snow starting at noon. So, of course, they started closing schools on Thurs. night. Friday right around noon it did start snowing and when I got off work at 1:30 the roads were white. I have no idea where the snow plows were but they were not on any of the roads I drive on. I'm sure they were working very hard on other roads, don't get me wrong they do an excellent job. They had been on the one main road I just didn't see them. So, I started out on my LONG trek home. I took the long way since the short way is very curvy and there is one particular place along the way that if you slide thru the turn you will go down the side of the mountain and I really wanted to avoid that if at all possible. We had a long line of us all driving 20 miles an hour on this one road that was pretty slick but we were taking it easy.

 We arrived in the small town that is on my way home and I turned into the gas station so I could fill up my tank. I pumped the gas and tried to get back on that road and there was so much traffic I waited and waited for my turn to join in...finally there was a break in traffic and I eased out of the gas station into traffic and fishtailed all over the place! Ugh! My tires finally found dry road and the car straightened out and no one hit me! Whew..I then made it to the grocery store for the obligatory grocery run. (No, I didn't get milk or eggs but i did get bread) You see it was payday and I ALWAYS grocery shop on payday for 2 weeks worth of groceries so there really wasn't much to eat. I ran in walked carefully on the ice, and got 2 packs of meat, bread and diet Pepsi. Then I decided that I really didn't want to cook dinner so I went down the sidewalk to the Chinese Food restaurant and ordered me some dinner. (Jonathan was picked up from school by a friend and spent the night at his apartment) While they were fixing my food I went down the sidewalk to the Subway and got hubby a sub to take to work for his dinner, went back for my food and then headed home.

I'm telling you all this detail that I'm sure you just really didn't want to know, to tell you that it took me from 1:30 to 4pm to get home. The roads are so curvy and hilly and slick that you really couldn't go faster than 30 or you would slide. Ugh! I got home in time to tell hubby that the roads were slick and he left so he could drive some of the same roads to get to work. Thankfully we all made it everywhere we went all safe and sound. How much snow did we get you ask?

About 2 inches accumulation. Yeah, I know...but when you live way out here in the boondocks they really don't get those plows out here very often. Today is Saturday and I had to go get Jonathan from town and the snow is pretty much all melted since it was 45 degrees today and a beautiful sunny day. I took Sunshine with me to go get Jonathan and then we took her to a pet store to have a mani/pedi while we went to Walmart to grocery shop. He took the food part of the list and I took the non food part and off we ran. We met back up and went thru the checkout and got back to the pet store in one hour!!! We set an all time record for sure!! We got 2 weeks worth of groceries and necessities and the only thing we forgot (so far) is the diet Pepsi (sorry hubby) And that included driving time, shopping, checking out, loading groceries and driving back to the pet store! I at least am impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment